ChatGPT is a powerful tool that is changing industry landscapes across the globe. This learning model uses a large amount of training data to generate text responses in natural language, and is used in various applications, including customer service, virtual assistants, and online messaging platforms.
While ChatGPT is taking many industries by storm, adoption of it in the workplace for marketers should be taken strategically and with a heed of caution. In terms of SEO, ChatGPT’s influence and worth are yet to be proven. In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of machine-generated content and what to look out for with ChatGPT and SEO.
Cons of ChatGPT for SEO
The first thing you should consider are any potential negative consequences that may result from blindly implementing this tool. While Chat GPT has many advantages, there are some potential drawbacks to using this technology.
1. ChatGPT has limited domain knowledge and may not always be able to answer complex or domain-specific questions. Currently, it does not have the capacity to provide accurate responses to certain specialized questions. Therefore, the scope of ChatGPT is limited, and it may not be able to handle all types of interactions with users.
In many cases, it is necessary to have human agents available to handle more complex or sensitive issues and topics, as this will help companies avoid any inaccuracies or misinformation that could be disseminated otherwise.
2. ChatGPT is not infallible. With its wealth of information and near instantaneous access to the deepest corners of the internet, it is still limited by the information it pulls from online resources. Most internet users know many things are made up online. Although ChatGPT does a pretty good job at providing accurate information, it is not perfect.
There are many examples of ChatGPT creating false information. An extreme example was brought to light when a journalist named Nurith Aizenman was contacted for a story she never wrote by someone doing research on her. As it turned out, ChatGPT created the story and gave Nurith Aizenman credit.
3. ChatGPT may not be able to empathize with users or understand emotionally complex topics, making it difficult to produce content that requires emotional intelligence. As the conversation around artificial intelligence expands, so does the consideration of AI’s capacity for empathy. Not only can this impact quality of writing, it can also lead to a poor user experience and frustration.
Additionally, the training data ChatGPT references may replicate biases if it has a biased perspective or language present. This indicates that ChatGPT can lack critical analysis and fail to examine multiple perspectives. A human touch is especially important when writing about sensitive topics.
4. ChatGPT content can be detected by AI checkers. This con of ChaptGPT is quite significant. AI is not a new concept in digital marketing, but ChatGPT has made the biggest waves. So, to that end, there are existing AI detector websites being used, and Google has built-in AI detection in its algorithms.
Google is publicly against the creation of content solely to rank highly on search results. This means that if Google feels the content is anything resembling spam, it is going to take action against the site publishing the content.
Creating content for the sole purpose of increasing quantity won’t fly by Google’s standards. It is important, and necessary, to provide meaningful and useful content. Don’t fall into the trap of creating content just for the sake of creating more content.
Importantly, in 2022, John Mueller stated that Google views content created using artificial intelligence to be spam, which is a violation of the company’s guidelines. The use of AI in the creation of content needs to be done carefully, and with human oversight.
Pros of ChatGPT for SEO
There is no doubt that ChatGPT has its advantages. From generating content ideas to helping in keyword optimization, it can be a valuable tool for gaining efficiencies in your marketing activities and SEO strategy.
1. ChatGPT can provide valuable data insights. In the world of modern-day marketing, data driven reports that prove marketing activities are yielding positive results is deeply important. ChatGPT can be a useful tool in generating analytics reports, while also drawing valuable conclusions about a client’s target audience or customer. A trusted digital marketing team can then take these insights to further develop an actionable plan that considers this data and helps reach your goals.
Since SEO efforts are predominantly focused on creating content that is highly sought after, and therefore valuable to the user, the insights ChatGPT can gather will only elevate this process for clients. Ultimately, these insights will help reach customers more effectively.
2. Time efficiency is one of the key, and most valuable, benefits of utilizing ChatGPT. The responses it provides are almost instantaneous, saving users time and allowing for more productivity.
ChatGPT can do the heavy lifting in your SEO planning by completing the tasks that are the most time consuming. For example, it can aid in keyword research and topic development, which can take a couple of hours if done right – more on this in a bit.
With ChatGPT’s assistance, this translates into your marketing team having more time to dedicate to higher-level strategic thinking, planning, and analysis, all of which will help you reach your goals more effectively.
Additionally, ChatGPT can be improved over time through feedback and learning. As it becomes more accurate and efficient, it can prove to be an even more valuable tool than it once was.
3. ChatGPT can prepare optimal keyword research. Keyword research can be challenging. Topic creation using those keywords that will prove useful to customers, and visible amongst competitors, is even harder. ChatGPT can take the leg work out and provide the starting point that can be, at times, more elusive and daunting than the project itself.
For example, this is a real-world application of how Chat GPT can take a 30 minute task and turn it into a 2-second response from AI:
Prompt: “ChatGPT, give me 11 keywords people might use to find medical equipment.”
ChatGPT’s Answer: “Here are 11 keywords people might use to find medical equipment:
- Medical supplies
- Medical devices
- Surgical equipment
- Diagnostic equipment
- Rehabilitation equipment
- Laboratory equipment
- Hospital beds
- Mobility aids
- Patient monitors
- Oxygen equipment”
An SEO specialist can take this list and start vetting them for potential use as they prepare a client’s content calendar.Additionally, this list can be further refined with the assistance of ChatGPT to ensure keywords are aligned with a specific industry:
Prompt: Focus these 11 keywords on remote patient monitoring and telehealth.
Answer: Sure, here are 11 keywords related to remote patient monitoring and telehealth:
- Remote patient monitoring devices
- Telemedicine equipment
- Connected health devices
- Home health monitoring devices
- Wearable medical devices
- Telehealth software
- Virtual care technology
- Remote health monitoring systems
- Telehealth devices for patients
- Telemedicine tools for healthcare providers
- Remote patient management solutions
Now, these 11 keywords are more aligned with a specific industry, and the research process was made a little less cumbersome and time consuming.
4. ChatGPT can reduce the “thinking” required by humans that can lead to writer’s block by creating optimal content ideas and generating topics based on keyword research.
For example, the keywords generated in the prompt above can be used to develop topics that are aligned to your unique industry, products, and services:
Prompt: “ChatGPT, now create a topic for each of these keywords.”
- “The Benefits of Using Remote Patient Monitoring Devices for Chronic Disease Management”
- “Telemedicine Equipment: A Comprehensive Guide to the Latest Technology”
- “Connected Health Devices: How IoT is Revolutionizing Remote Patient Monitoring”
- “Home Health Monitoring Devices: An Overview of the Latest Wearable Technology”
- “Wearable Medical Devices: The Future of Remote Health Monitoring”
- “Telehealth Software: Choosing the Right Platform for Your Practice”
- “Virtual Care Technology: Enhancing Access to Care for Patients Everywhere”
- “Remote Health Monitoring Systems: An Overview of the Latest Solutions”
- “Telehealth Devices for Patients: The Top Tools for Managing Your Health at Home”
- “Telemedicine Tools for Healthcare Providers: The Latest Technology for Remote Care”
- “Remote Patient Management Solutions: How Technology is Improving Outcomes for Patients and Providers”
With just a few short edits to the original prompt, we have 11 industry relevant topic titles that can be used for creating valuable, consumer driven content. From this point, ChatGPT can help write a 200-word overview for each and the “human team” can step in to use these prompts as a valuable starting point to finalize your content.
Overall, ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for managing time and improving efficiency in customer service, keyword optimization, and content creation. It can’t replace the human touch or capacity for critical thinking, but it can certainly reduce stress and make the workload seem more manageable.